Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Chains Are Gone

Clank, clank, clank, I can still hear them rattling against the walls of my cell. These heavy iron chains firmly clasped around my wrist, digging into the tender skin, a constant reminder of who I am, who I will always be. I am a prisoner who cannot escape.

Time and time again I had tried to break these chains, to rid myself of the shame and guilt. Nothing I can do changes anything, and I still remain a prisoner, that is until the day He came. He was different from the others compassion and love were evident on his face, as he looked at me he began to cry and through the tears asked my why I was still here.

Shocked I turned to him, “still here?” I questioned, what could he have meant? I have always been here, always been bound in these chains. Carefully he picks up one of my hands and then the other, gently flipping them over he reveals the locks, which were not open but gone completely. They were unlocked all along, but how could that be?
As I continued to feel his hand in mine I remembered all that he had done, I remembered the day that he had come and shattered the locks. But this does not make any sense I thought to myself, how could this be? As if reading my mind he showed me the firm hold that I had on my chains. How I felt safe and secure with them on and did not want to let them go.

Tearfully I turned to him with out-stretched arms and asked him to take them off completely. A scream escaped my lips as they were pulled from my wrist and he began to wrap the wounded flesh. Compassion, love and peace were placed where bitterness, hate and anger had been.

He had exchanged my chains of lies for truth and love. Scars still remain and are reminders of what he has brought me through. The hurt and pain will not soon be forgotten. My chains are gone and I have been set free, no matter how many times I might pick up the chains again they can no longer hold me.

2 comments:

  1. Praise Him for they can no longer hold us! What a beautiful post - and blog! I shall read it with interest! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Hannah. I can't wait to see what He does next and to hear it from your perspective.
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete