Monday, April 20, 2009

The Motions - Matthew West

This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break, At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough Help me fight through the nothingness of life
I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,instead of going through the motions?"
No regrets, not this time I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough Help me fight through the nothingness of this life
'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more daywithout Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything, instead of going through the motions?"
Take me all the way (take me all the way)
Take me all the way ('cause I don't wanna go through the motions)
Take me all the way (I know I'm finally feeling something real)
Take me all the way
I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more daywithout Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,instead of going through the motions?"
I don't wanna go through the motions
Take me all the way
I don't wanna go through the motions

Thinking over this song, I realize that my life is all to often like this, everyday is just a script that. I go through. Lines that I recite. More than once I have caught myself going through the motions. Doing everything that is expected of a “good little church girl.” Letting everyone think that I am perfect, that I have no faults. When in reality I am just talking-the-talk.

Living only to please others, not giving my all for Him. Making what they say more important than what He has called me to do. Living this way is so easy, blending in rather than standing out. Letting others determine my course instead of God. Simply going through the motions.

Why? Why, do I live this way? How is it that I have let this happen? How is it that something which was once so real, something that was the center of my life has become nothing more than a weekly ritual? I have gone so far from where I once was. I have become a puppet on a string.
Lord, I want to live this life for you. I was to live with your passion and purpose. No more, I cannot do it any longer the motions are taking their toil on me. This life is all about you. Nothing is more important.
Take me Lord take me all the way,
I am coming back to you. I want to walk-the-walk.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Hannah! This was very well put - I catch myself "going through the motions" too.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Hannah! As I said... I love your writing! (HONEST!)
    But more than your writing... I love you! :)
    ~Alaina

    ReplyDelete