Thursday, May 7, 2009

Music

Boom, boom, boom, I hear the cars as they drive by, windows down and music blaring. Heads begin bobbing and people turn to see what the commotion is, to see what has influenced them to want to share their music with everyone. Is it the style, beat or possibly even the words that compel them to turn the volume up one more notch?

For me it is the music that draws in, either the beat or style. They grab my attention and rivet it in place, drawing me in deeper and deeper, before I realize it I am singing along, not even thinking about what I am saying. Not thinking about what I am letting influence my life and convert my thinking.

Thinking about it I realize that the “latest and greatest” songs are played over and over again. Before long I am singing them in my sleep because I have heard them so much. Regretfully, I do not always take into consideration the impact that the music I listen to has on my life.

What thoughts do the music I listen to put into my heart and mind? What am I really dwelling on? I do not have an answer for that yet; thus far the only thing pricking at my heart is the lyrics, the words, the words that influence my life and my decisions. Words that have been set to music that somehow seek to ruin my life.

For me realizing what an impact the lyrics have over my life has drastically changed my thinking. It is an ongoing process for me; God is still working in my heart in the area of what music I listen to. Through that knowledge I have been consciously making an effort to seek out only that music that will build up and positively influence my life.

As I am writing, a verse from Philippians comes to mind. In chapter four, verse eight it says: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Think on these things…

What is it that I am letting in? What message is being sent straight to my heart? Is it going to influence me for good or evil? The choice the falls into the lap of the individual, what will you chose? What will you allow to fill your heart and mind?

2 comments:

  1. Great reminder, Hannah! You addressed a challenging, yet crucial, topic in a terrific way. I have been enjoying these papers, haven't you?!? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes and no... Some of them have been really hard for me to write...

    ReplyDelete